When I started this blog 2 years ago, the main goal was to establish an investment resource that clients could reference on important topics.
One of the main themes of the articles has been the effect that higher interest rates would have on the financial markets. The markets are now changing very quickly and these articles have held up very well.
Below is a listing of all of the articles including links. Hopefully it will be of some value to review in the current environment. Portfolios need to be structured to withstand the potential for much higher interest rates.
Higher Interest Rates and Debt
- The Bond Market: These Times (Maybe) A-Changin’: November 2016
- Higher Interest Rates: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly: December, 2016
- Inflation or Deflation; Back to the Future?: November, 2017
- Mortgage Renewal: Fixed or Variable?: May, 2018
Investment Strategies and Solutions
- The GIC Ladder: Foundation of a Strong Investment Portfolio: January, 2017
- The Most Important Paragraph About Investing Ever Written?: March, 2017
- TFSA; The Power of Tax Free Growth: April, 2017
- The Loonie: The Opportunity Side of the (Weak) Coin: May, 2017
- Gold in the New Millennium; 2000-2017: June, 2017
- Contrarian Investing: Buying and Adding Value in an ETF World: September, 2017
- Market Benchmarks: Measuring Portfolio Performance: February, 2017
- Volatility? January, 2018
- Dividend Liability: March, 2018
- Bulls, Bear, Momentum, and Value: July, 2018
This publication is solely the work of Jon Batchelor for the private information of his clients. Although the author is a Manulife Securities Advisor, he is not a financial analyst at Manulife Securities Incorporated and Manulife Securities Insurance Inc. This is not an official publication of Manulife Securities. The views, opinions and recommendations are those of the author alone and they may not necessarily be those of Manulife Securities. This publication is not an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any securities. This publication is not meant to provide legal, accounting or account advice. As each situation is different, you should seek advice based on your specific circumstances. Please call to arrange for an appointment. The information contained herein was obtained from sources believed to be reliable; however, no representation or warranty, express or implied, is made by the writer, Manulife Securities or any other person as to its accuracy, completeness or correctness.